Weddings are great. They’re one of very few reasons that families get together and probably one of the only times, if not the only time, that you will be surrounded by all of your closest family and friends. Here are 6 reasons why you should take your wedding to the next level and make it a destination wedding!
- You get to spend more time with your family and friends. When you have a destination wedding, people will almost always arrive at the destination a day or two before the wedding, and stay a day or two after. You can plan to have a “Wedding Week/Weekend” and incorporate fun group activities for everyone to spend more time together.
- You can still have any type of wedding you want to - from a black tie wedding to boho chic. When choosing a destination, it’s important to research what types of venues are available. You must ask yourself what general feel you’re going for, and what are your must-haves. Do you imagine yourself in a princess-style ballgown? Make sure your destination has a few venues to choose from that match the formality of your wedding.
- Destination weddings are a great excuse to have an intimate wedding and save money. One of the biggest challenge for many families is limiting the number of people who are invited. [Disclaimer: we failed at that]. With a destination wedding it is easier to explain that you would like to have an intimate wedding and can’t invite everyone. In some cases, fewer people may be able to travel and make it to the wedding as well. You can always opt to have a reception in your hometown after the wedding, to include everyone in your celebration festivities. Having fewer guests can save you a lot of money, but don’t underestimate how many people will show up when given advance notice.
- Compromise. If your spouse-to-be hails from a different hometown than you, having a destination wedding is a great way to compromise and hold the wedding in a neutral place. That way you aren’t catering to one side or the other, and nobody’s feelings are hurt.
- Built-in honeymoon. Once the wedding festivities have ended, you can stick around for a longer period of time and have your honeymoon in the same place! Many resorts will offer freebies and other benefits for couples who honeymoon at the same resort they marry at.
- It’s a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to go on a huge group trip with all your closest family and friends!