Between trips (and during!) I love to escape life with a book. Some of my favorite books to read are set in different countries, in different times, and different cultures. These are a few books I’ve read that I became completely immersed in, and after reading, felt like I had lived and experienced the same things the protagonists did. Warning: most will make you cry.
1. Rooftops of Tehran - Mahbod Seraji [Iran]
2. Sold - Patricia McCormick [Nepal/India]
3. A Long Way Gone - Ishmael Beah [Sierra Leone]
4. Eat Pray Love - Elizabeth Gilbert [India, Italy, Indonesia]
5. Half of a Yellow Sun - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie [Nigeria]