So you booked a flight deal! Congratulations! Isn’t it exhilarating? Whether your trip is next week or next year, there’s something about that rush you get when booking a trip on-the-fly that is like no other feeling! Well it is for me, at least. If it’s your first flight deal you may be wondering what to do next. Here’s what we do after we get a deal.
- Book any connecting flights! If your fight deal leaves from a different city than where you live (often the case for us living in ATL but not as much of a problem for people living near SFO, NYC, LAX, etc.), you will have to book tickets to get to that city. It’s not a deal if you end up waiting until the last minute to book that flight and spend a lot of money to get to the deal city! Make sure you give yourself enough time to retrieve and re-check your baggage, since your tickets will be on separate reservations and may be with different airlines. If you’re flying out or into an airport with lots of delays (i.e. SFO) make sure you give yourself an ABUNDANCE of time between flights in case you’re delayed.
- Start researching the place and fun things to do. In some cities, the area you stay in can make or break your trip. You want to make sure you’re in a good neighborhood that is convenient near all the things you want to do. Tripadvisor and Lonely Planet are my go-tos for that type of research!
- I think it’s okay to start browsing and book something if you feel compelled to, but if possible wait a few days to ensure your ticket is honored. [We’ve gotten two so far and neither have been canceled *knock on wood*]. I’d book through Expedia or some other website that allows you to book without paying anything. Make sure you READ the cancellation policy before committing to a hotel.
- Let the countdown to your trip begin!
"Jobs fill your pockets. Adventures fill your soul."
These are my favorite flight deal resources:
- The Flight Deal or Fare Deal Alert (Emails/Facebook) - Choose one based on what city you live in or near
- Travel Pirates (Facebook)
- Secret Flying (Facebook)
If you have other good sources for flight deals or tips, please leave them in a comment below :)