At the end of 2013, we planned a New Years trip to Thailand. We were searching for a destination in Asia and used Google Flights to help narrow in on a location. Surprisingly, tickets from San Francisco to Bangkok weren't too expensive that time, so we decided to go for it! Thailand is a great inexpensive travel destination and an excellent choice for people who aren't super familiar with Asia or have never been there before.
- Air China Flight 986 + 969 – San Francisco to Beijing to Bangkok
- AirAsia 3039 – Bangkok to Phuket
- AirAsia 3020 - Phuket to Bangkok
- Air China 980 + 985– Bangkok to Beijing to San Francisco
- LIT Hotel Bangkok
- Senses Resort Phuket
- W Bangkok
12/29 | Depart San Francisco at 1:50pm
12/30 | Arrive Bangkok at 11:45pm
12/31 | Explore Bangkok | Visit Temples | Celebrate NYE at Levels
1/1 | Morning Couple’s Thai Massage | Explore Bangkok | Red Sky Bar
1/2 | Arrive in Phuket at 10:05am | ATV + Big Budda Tour | Tiger Kingdom
1/3 | Visit Phi Phi and Bamboo Island| Thai Cooking Class
1/4 | Travel From Phuket to Bangkok *Sick day spent at hotel*
1/5 | Weekend Market + Massages
1/6 | Depart Bangkok 1:05am | Arrive Beijing 6:30 am |Tour Great Wall | Depart Beijing 4:00pm | Arrive San Francisco 11:20am
- Thailand was hot but Beijing was cold, so we had to bring one warm outfit for the trip to the Great Wall!
- When planning a two-country trip, be sure to check and see what type of visas you’ll need. China offers a special layover visa, which is nice because you don’t have to pay the exorbitant China visa fee! We also arranged for an inexpensive car service ahead of time, to avoid any taxi trouble.
- I got food poisoning from the breakfast buffet at the resort in Phuket! We think it was the watermelon. Make sure you read up about what foods are safe before traveling and avoid anything questionable!
For more tips on travel planning, visit our blog on How To: Plan Your Honeymoon (and other trips!).